The Problem and Solution
"We are thrilled to be behind Stabilized Steps because there are so many great products in the market, but very few that are truly life-changing!" says Gomez.
Millions Affected by Mobility Issues
The US Census reports 22 million Americans, and with Baby Boomers aging many more each day, have a mobility disability.
The US Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality reports over 1 million total hip and total knee replacement procedures performed each year in the United States.
Aging In Place
90% of seniors would prefer to stay in their home even if they begin to need help with their activities of daily living (ADLs).
Falls are the leading cause of injury and death for seniors.
Approximately 1 of 3 seniors fall annually.
- 60% of falls happen in the senior’s home and 70% of those falls happen in the bathroom.
- 30% happen in public places
- 10% happen in health care facilities
“A fall can be Catastrophic & the fear of falling is Paralyzing!
Our Goal is to help our customers Physically and also Mentally”
– Stephanie Gomez, President & CEO
Moreover, current walkers do not give the ability to get up from the ground or bend down to pick up something from the floor without the walker tipping over (which is very dangerous). Currently Orthopedic Nurses and Physical Therapist direct their patients not to bend down to pick up anything from the ground because of the risk of falling, which is the reason why there are products such as reachers or grabbers. However, after speaking with hundreds of orthopedic nurses, they confirmed that most patients don’t listen and still bend down using their unstable walkers which can cause a dangerous fall.
Lastly many people still have trouble navigating uneven terrain such as sand, snow, grass, gravel and mud. Due to this fear of falling outdoors, they exclude themselves form the extraordinary benefits that come from enjoying the outdoors which translates into healthy living. Healthy living manifests itself in lower weight, less disease, and positive outlook, as highlighted in the Lifestyle Interventions and Independence for Elders Study.
Our solution is a patented device that attaches to the bottom of medical walkers allowing the walkers to be significantly more stable indoors and out in various terrain such as sand, grass, gravel, mud, snow, and all the way into calm ocean waters. Our Stabilizers are giving those with mobility issues their independence and freedom to move forward!
Given that there are so many standard fold up walkers already in the market, we decided not to invent an entire new walker but rather create a device that could easily be attached to existing walkers.
Our product comes fully assembled and ready to attach to a walker. NO TOOLS ARE REQUIRED.
It includes one set of Stabilizers that fit most walkers with 1” diameter legs. Two pairs of extension legs with attachment hardware and rubber pads.
- Our custom Stabilizers design provides flexibility and strength, while keeping the Stabilizers lightweight. It was tested to withstand more than 500lbs with many different fall and stress scenarios. Our product was designed and tested with the same technology that Ford Motors develops their cars by former Ford Motors engineers.
- The rounded edges protect furniture and users. Its elongated shape increases stability and helps prevent forward, backwards, and side to side falls.
- It is fully adjustable to fit the different sizes of walkers and the desired walker height. The same product can be used on a junior walker or a bariatric walker.
- The custom-molded nylon pads on the bottom allow for better traction.
- It has a custom-fabricated drainage system that prevents suction on wet or muddy terrain.
- The product folds with walker allowing for easy storage in the trunk of the car.
- Together the pair only add 3.53lbs to the weight of the walker
- Currently they are only offered in the color gray.